So, last week, while we were sitting at home, furiously uploading our Twitter feeds and feeling bad about not being in San Diego, the Catching Fire Theatrical Trailer was officially released! This trailer shows us some pretty dark, pretty epic sequel scenes. Read more of what I think after you watch the trailer below for the twentieth time!
- So we open with Katniss entering the Victor’s Village. It looks so grim and creepy! I understand why they portrayed it this way, but I think it would have been better if they went for the luxurious town houses that were in the book. I think that would have made the situation all the more disturbing.
- We hear a conversation with Prim and Katniss in the background. I am excited about Prim in this movie. It sounds like (hopefully!) they are going to incorporate how Prim matured so much since the first Games.
- Tech! There is so many more futuristic elements, which I am obviously psyched about!
- So, we get a moment of Gale and Katniss kissing. They are accentuating this in the trailer for a reason I don’t want to think about. There really isn’t a love triangle in the books, in my opinion. I hope there isn’t a semblance of one in the movie and that this is just for the trailers.
- Some of the scene where Snow threatens the lives of Katniss’ family in her own home is shown. YES! This is one of my favorite scenes from the book!
- Every time I see the Gale whipping scene, it gets me. I really hope they include the aftermath of that, when Katniss is tending to his wounds and they have a big moment.
- Polandbananasbooks mentioned this in her trailer reaction video, and I must concur. Effie’s face as she pulls Katniss and Peeta’s name at the Reaping. I love Effie so much more in Catching Fire, because we see that she hates what she’s doing but knows she’ll be killed or worse if she rebels.
- When Katniss goes on stage in her Wedding/Mockingjay dress and when she and Peeta are riding the chariot, I love Katniss’ detached expression. The nature of what’s happening is written all over her face.
- We don’t see a whole lot of Peeta in this trailer! What’s up with that? I hope this doesn’t mean anything for the movie.
Overall, I am so happy with this trailer! There is so much more of everything, it seems, in this movie than the first. It seems as if they have a bigger budget and were able to build the world for us in a much more thorough way.
Katniss/Peeta. Quarter Quell. Bombs. Weddings. Are you guys ready for this?!